Helpful Hints for School Staff Members
- Student Assistant Team Coordinator should conduct weekly follow-up of TRP referrals that may include student/parent conferences on an as needed basis.
- Do not threaten student/parent with criminal prosecution.
- Avoid making harsh, overly negative or authoritarian comments to student.
- Understand the student's home environment through home calls, parent conference, etc.
- Coordinate on a regular basis with TRP officer.
- Praise the student as attendance improves, even for minor changes.
- Inform student's teacher of refereral to TRP.
- Understand that head lice are not viewed under the TRP guidelines as a truancy issue.
- Develop a policy and a letter to parents/guardians addressing student tardiness and excused absences as a problem that interferes with the student's progress in school. Inform parents of their legal obligation to compel school attendance (California Penal Code 272-Contributing to the Delinquency of a Minor) and advise them that cash aid payments can be reduced if the child does not meet the 90% minimum attendance requirement under the CalWorks program.
- Relize that TRP cannot be the school's only response to truancy. Unless other positive interventions are attempted in the school setting, the outcome will be limited.
|*Kern County Substance Abuse Prevention Education*||*Prevention Education*||*Prevention Service Links*||*Prevention Training Program Course Descriptions*|
|*Prevention Workshop Calendar*||*Safe Schools*||*School-Community Partnerships*||*KCSOS home*|
Print This Page Email This Page